The buildings, some old and some newer, where the Christian congregations of our area meet, regularly, occasionaly, or once upon a time.
Refuge Church was established in 1858. The original building was constructed of logs and located where the cemetery is located today. Around 1893 the logs were sold to the father of the Rev. Wiley J. Nail, who built a barn using them. A new wooden structure was then built on the same site. On Ju...
A charming early American church, Children's Chapel seats 125. Non-denominational services are held each Sunday after Labor Day Weekend through the Sunday before Memorial Day Weekend. Children’s Chapel is also the beautiful location for over 50 wedding ceremonies each year. It is a beautiful part o...
Beulah Church is located about 5 miles from the Red Hill Community Club at the corner of Lovelady & Beulah Roads just across the Tallapoosa River. This pic is of Tonya Terry, TV news reporter from Channel 12 in Montgomery, featured speaker for their Teacher Appreciation Day.
Providence Primitive Baptist Church, in Kent on Chana Creek Road, about 5 miles from Red Hill Community Club. It was established around 1913; one of the many beautiful churches in our area.
Mt. Hebron East Baptist Church is located at 4355 Mt. Hebron Road. It was formed in a brush arbor on October 13, 1896. It was destroyed by a tornado in April of 2010 and rebuilt by the men of the neighborhood.
Mt. Hebron Road Church of Christ is located at 4530 Mt. Hebron Road(County Road 80). The Mt Hebron congregation of the church of Christ began in 1951 with an initial membership of three; Walter Thompson, Exa Barker and Pearl Spivey. In those early days, the church met in the home of Oscar and Exa ...
The Church in the Pines is located on the south shore of Lake Martin just off Alabama Highway 63 at Kowaliga Bridge. It is non-denominational and features speakers from many Christian denominations during the summer months from May to October. Many weddings are performed here.
This is the Chana Creek Primitive Baptist Church located at the corner of Chana Creek Road and Neman Road. If you know about the history of this church please let me know.
This is the New Hope Baptist Church, not too far south of Our Town off Alabama Highway 63 about 3 miles. It is today far from the Madding crown, serenely setting on a peninsula jutting out into Lake Martin on its western side. The previous very old building was weather or fire destroyed and later r...
This is the Horse Stump, located at the northeast side of the Refuge Church cemetery. The original Refuge Church building was a wooden structure and was located on the knoll in the middle of the cemetery. It was said that one of the men of the original church cut the nearby tree to form a stump s...
This is Watson Chapel on East Cotton Road. It was originally located up on the hill at the corner of Landers-Swink Road and Holly Mill Road where the old cemetery is located. It was started in the 1880's. It was moved to the current location in 1915 and the current structure was built in 1957 with...
This is the New Beginnings Apostolic Ministries Church located on Muskogee Trail Road, just off Cherokee Trail Road. Awaiting more information on its history.
This is Old Harmony Church on Nero's Point Road. Trying to get more info on this old, small, off the beaten path, church
This is the Beulah Church on Dunn-Adams Road about halfway between Chana Creek Road and Double Bridge Ferry Road. I need more info on this church if anyone has any.
This is Bethlehem East Church, the "East" distinguishing it from the Bethlehem West church in the western part of Elmore County. It is located on the Upper River Road in Kent, just east of Alabama Highway 229. It was established in 1844, only 6 years after the removal of the Creek Native Americans...
This is Mt. Gilead Primitive Baptist Church located on Mt. Hebron Road not far off Alabama Highway 63. The building was previously brick but was leveled in a recent tornado that even overturned tombstones in the adjacent cemetery. Need more information on this church.
This is Shiloh Baptist Church, located across the road from the intersection of Tecumseh Point Road and Blount Point Road just off Alabama Highway 63. The congregation celebrated its 108th year on October 9, 2016. It was severely damaged and rebuilt early in the 21st century.
Another off the beaten path church, this is Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, located at the very end of Tucker Road, just off Upper River Road as it approaches Alabama Highway 229. Cornerstone dates it to 1944 but would appreciate more info from anyone who has it.
This is the Benson-Bethel Church, founded in 1897 and rebuilt in 1995. It is located at the intersection of Alabama Highway 63 and Tecumseh Point Road.
Mt. Olive Congregational Church located just north of the intersection of Alabama Highway 14 and Alabama Highway 229 at 492 Kent Road. Need more information on this church history.
Central Baptist Church, located at the intersection of Alabama Highway 9 and Mt. Hebron Road. Need information on this church history.
This is Red Ridge United Methodist Church at the intersection of Alabama Highway 49 and Tallapoosa County Road 34. It seems that a church building has been at this location since the early 1850's.
The Union United Methodist Church, located on Alabama Highway 50, across from Overlook Drive in the Union Community. No details on the history yet available.
The Russell Farm Church, located in the fork of Alabama Highway 63 and Speake Cutoff Road. Awaiting additional information on this church. Let us know if you have information.
Equality United Methodist Church, located just off Alabama Highway 9 on Alabama Highway 259, on the northwest side of Lake Martin.
The Methodist Church at Central, Alabama, located just north of where Mt. Hebron Road crosses Alabama Highway 9. No other info on this church at this time.
Historic Sardis United Methodist Church was established in 1837. The present sanctuary, located on Hwy. 50 in Walnut Hill (1 mile west of Hwy. 49), 10 miles south of Dadeville, Alabama, was built in 1857. Joining Sardis Church during 1925-1926 were the members of Centerport, west of Walnut Hill, a...
We are attempting to provide our web site visitors with photos and brief descriptions of the churches in the Lake Martin Area. We invite our local site visitors to help us on this project.